Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce with Cashew Cream
Traveling in Italy brought me face to face with real Italian food for the first time in my life. The fresh flavors did not disappoint and I was happy to find the simple sauces allowed the slow crafted pastas to show themselves off. A simple WFPB tomato sauce is always a good recipe to have in your backpocket and this fast blender made sauce will pair well with any pasta not only gnocchi. I suggest you remove the skins of the tomatoes yourself, but you can buy skinless canned tomatoes and make this recipe the same.
The olive oil and cashew cream are both optional, but I think they make up for the heavy creams and cheeses used in many Italian recipes. The cashew cream is WFPB and is as simple as you can get.
How to Remove the Skin of Tomatoes:
1. Cut an x in the bottom of the tomato (the part away from the stem)
2. Bring a pot of water to boil.
3. Carefully drop the tomatoes into the water for 1-2 minutes, until the skin starts to pull away from the cut.
4. Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water with thongs and let cool in a bowl.
5. Peel off the skins and use when canned are called for in any recipe.
Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce and Cashew Cream Recipe
1 package of gnocchi (or other pasta)
5 tomatoes (skins removed) or 1 can
4 cloves of garlic
¼ white onion
¼ t oregano
1 T tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T olive oil (optional)
- Remove skins from tomatoes (see recipe notes above) or open and drain liquid from 1 can.
- In a blender add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, oregano, tomato paste salt and pepper.
- Blend until very smooth.
- In a small saucepan bring the tomato sauce to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a sauce pot of water to boil.
- When the water is boiling add the gnocchi and boil for 2-3 minutes until the gnocchi begin to float.
- Drain the water and place the gnocchi in a large bowl with 1 T of olive oil (optional)
- Shake gently to combine. When the sauce is ready cover the gnocchi and shake well.
- Serve in a bowl with fresh greens and cashew sauce
Optional Super Easy Cashew Sauce
¼ cup cashew nuts (soaked)
1 T nutritional yeast
¼ cup filtered water
- Soak cashews for cream sauce for 8 hours at room temperature, or 1 hour in just boiled water.
- Drain the water and place the cashews in a clean blender.
- Add 1 T of nutritional yeast and ¼ cup filter water to the blender.
- Blend until smooth, this will form a smooth sauce great for making soups creamy, covering salads and adding to pizzas and pastas. If you want a cashew cream make this with less water.